Saturday, May 30, 2015

Crocs :: A view on Refresh Agency's first client back in 2002


Image Credit: Carlotta Mast


I never know wether to smile and feel proud, or cringe and duck for cover when I see Crocs and signs like these...

Crocs was Refresh Agency's first client. Not a bad one to start out with. And, truth be told, it was an incredible experience and rocket ride to launch Crocs from small start-up seeing the first prototype shoe, to take the company to the largest IPO in the history of the footwear industry ($208 mill IPO). Since it's inception in 2002, Crocs has sold more than 300 million pairs of shoes in more than 90 countries around the world!

It's been one of my career highlights packed with learning and growth to take these puppies and make them a world-wide phenomenon with the most amazing team - the founders George Boedecker, Scotty, Lyndon 'Duke' Hanson, and my fellow colleagues.

My need to do good in the world through business was fulfilled through the company hiring people with various handicaps, who could not otherwise easily work, to add the back straps fastened with rivets to the shoes. Building schools in developing countries with The Q Fund, and giving second assortment shoes to adults and children in the developing worlds.

As a disclaimer, I need to say that I do not know the workings of the company today. It's an entirely different management team. If they still practice conscious capitalism with focus on people, planet and profits, I am not sure. I do hope so.

It's amazing to look back over the company's timeline and know Refresh Agency was a small piece in this large puzzle back in 2002-2004.

We used some fairly innovative marketing methods to get across to the consumers including these Crocs sails








No comments: